JIMENA (Jews Indigenous to the Middle East and North Africa)
JIMENA was created in 2002 by former Jewish refugees from the Middle East and North Africa who desired to share their personal stories and rich culture with college students, policy makers, and North American Jewish communal and lay leaders throughout North America. JIMENA speakers have shared personal testimonies with government agencies all over the world, more than 80 universities in North America and hundreds of organizations. As the only organization in North America exclusively focused on educating and advocating on behalf of Jewish refugees and Mizrahi Jews from Arab countries, we remain a thought leader and resource center for multiple institutions advancing the history, heritage, and culture of Mizrahi and Sephardic Jews.
JIMENA is seeking a part-time editor to develop a new quarterly Sephardic journal, which will elevate the profile, voices, and leadership of Sephardic leaders, scholars, researchers, and activists in our communities. The publication aims to be grounded in classical Sephardic Judaism and history with the goal of helping the larger Jewish community answer contemporary questions with commentaries contributed from members of the Sephardic Leadership Institute and other Sephardic and Mizrahi leaders.
The editor will work closely with writers, the art director, the director of education, and the editorial board to create a journal related to the experiences, education, politics, culture, and heritage of Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews reflecting the highest editorial standards while producing stories that are fresh, exciting, readable, and impactful. The editor will be responsible for managing pre-selected writers and publishing a quarterly online journal with 5 articles per issue, as selected by JIMENA leaders.
If appropriate, the editor can be hired for an additional project of editing a curriculum guide JIMENA is producing for Jewish educators. Please let us know if this project is also of interest to you.
- Edit five articles a quarter (20/year) for structure and line edits.
- Collaborate with contributors to bring their articles to a high editorial standard.
- Adhere to editorial calendar and deadlines.
- Help refine and adhere to goals, vision, and timeline for the journal.
- Work with art director and JIMENA staff on publishing.
- Professional experience in journalism and/or degree in relevant field.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with or interest in Sephardic and Mizrahi communities in the U.S.
- Ability to publish stories that adhere to the highest standards of fairness and accuracy.
- Attention to detail.
Salary Range and Benefits:
- The salary range for this position is $15,000 – $20,000
- This is a remote position.
JIMENA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE AGAINST ANY EMPLOYEE OR APPLICANT BECAUSE OF RACE, ETHNICITY, GENDER IDENTITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, AGE, NATIONAL ORIGIN OR DISABILITIES
Please submit your resume, a cover letter, and two-three examples of stories you’ve edited to email@example.com by March 10, 2023